Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

The door to the Oval office

Okay I realised that the last post was pretty useless for the purpose of getting critique, as I didn't really post any wire-frame. Also, after getting a couple of suggestions from the pros I worked a bit on it and was able to take the poly count to 206 (yeah, that's 200 polys less O_o). The visual result doesn't really look any different. I do have some doubts still though. I am not really sure about a couple of decisions I have made. I will need to consult with my resident modelling teacher Ross Hildick. You can check out his work here: Ross's Blog

So here are the wireframe images of the door.

This is the overall structure. This has 3 main parts, the outer frame, the inner frame and the door. This component has a total of 206 faces.

The doorway: 206 faces

This is how it looks from the back. I have deleted all the back-faces to keep the poly count down.

The back-side of the doorway

This is the outer frame, isolated. This piece has a total of 28 faces.

Outer frame, 28 faces

This is how it looks from the back.

Outer frame, back view

The inner door frame. I don't know if it can be further optimised as it has only 6 faces.

The inner frame

The door. This piece has a total of 112 faces. As you can see, it doesn't really have any depth to it. I am not sure if that is a good idea. I know that it exactly fits into the inner-frame and the player won't be opening it, but will it catch lighting properly, if it doesn't have any depth on the edges.

The door, 112 faces

The door-knob is another poly heavy piece. It has 60 polygons, but I can't really think of any way to make it lower than this and still retaining the shape.

Door-knob: Front view

Door-knob: Back view
That was a long post :p
Thanks in advance for any critique. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment